Yummm!!!!!!!! That’s about all there is to say about this. But of course, I talk a lot, so I won’t stop there.
And now, introducing the best Real Food muffins I have found, and by found, I mean I took several recipes and morphed them into this little beauty. Most of the recipes for whole wheat muffins out there are too dry, and sorry to say, not sweet enough. Like most people out there, I feel like muffins should be on the sweet side!
We actually make these more often for dinner than for breakfast, but when I do make them, this recipe makes so many that I throw the rest in the freezer for a quick breakfast on other days, or even to throw in my first grader’s lunchbox. She feels like muffins for lunch are a big treat, and loves when I send them.
These are an essential part of my freezer stash!
I like to open these up and add just a touch of real butter to the warm muffins and let it get all melty, yummm!!!!
Enough talk, here’s the recipe.
Make these and let me know what you think!
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- ¾ cup raw local honey
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup plain, unflavored yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups organic blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix chia seeds and hot water and allow to rest, this will form a gel.
- In a saucepan, melt together honey and coconut oil.
- While the honey and oil are melting, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted honey and oil, yogurt, chia mixture, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix only 10 times, do not over mix!
- Add blueberries and stir 3 more times (this batter will be thick, almost like cookie dough).
- Generously butter muffin tins with soft butter, then fill tins with batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
- Serve warm with a touch of real butter and enjoy!